Topic: Rise of Authoritarian Regimes - Stalin's USSR
Enquiry-question: Was the rise of Stalin inevitable?
Review: Were attempts to establish peace after WWI succeed?
1. the League of Nations:
- successes: conflict resolution, Locarno Pact, socio-economic improvements
- failures: invasion of the Ruhr, Italy in Abyssinia, Japan in Manchuria, Germany in the Rhineland
- disarmament initiatives: Washington, Kellogg-Briand Pact
- economic loans: Dawes and Young Plans
1. Russia before WWI:
- socio-economic conditions: poverty and revolt - is there a link?
- the rule of the Tsar: monarchy and misrule - who is to blame?
- Russo-Japanese War (1905) & Bloody Sunday (1910) - why no revolution?
- Feb Revolution: Liberals under the Provisional Government - what went wrong?
- October Revolution: Lenin and the Bolsheviks - why did they succeed?
- Treaty of Brest-Litvosk: what were the gains and losses?
- Russian Civil War: Red vs. Whites - who were involved and what was the significance?
- War Communism: the beginning of authoritarianism?
- New Economic Policy: reversal of communism?