Thursday, February 28, 2013

Positive Confusion

This week I observed a rather interesting scenario: students getting confused. They were given different  scenarios to work done on and work done by. There were quite abit of confusion amongst the students. Many admitted they really did not know what was going on. But I think the confusion is intended.


On my part, I kept wondering why the teacher wanted to confuse them? I would have opted for the efficient method of making the concepts, the question, the answering format, as clear as possible. Possibly because I am always in a hurry to make sure the so many students get what I have to cover. I have no time to create confusion. Besides I did not want to appear like I did not know. You know how quick students are in deciding they got a bad teacher if they do not get their answers fast and clear.

Here's the students' response. THEY LIKED THE CONFUSION. Confusion makes them think, they say. It makes them want to find out more. And when what they found out is correct. They feel vindicated and satisfied. They feel they have really learned!

Maybe our students need a mindset change. They can learn to live with more ambiguity instead of wanting the correct answers all the time. That's provided they have the chances, the time, the luxury to find out the answers for themselves. In the state of going from lesson to lesson, from school to homework, from week to terms, how can we have more students who value positive confusion as prelude to an inspiration discovery?